Logo Black Forest Portal
Search
Close this searchbox.
placeholder

Zavelstein castle ruins with Städtle

70 Add to favorites Remove from favorites

Content:

Characteristics

Location: Bad Teinach-Zavelstein
Suitable for prams: no

Built around 1200 as a Stauferburg, Zavelstein Castle was built by
Benjamin Buwinghausen acquired from Wallmerode. By the ducal
Builder Heinrich Schickhardt was the castle until 1630
Late Renaissance chateau rebuilt. French troops destroyed
Castle and town in 1692 in the Franco-Palatinate War of Succession. While
the residential houses were rebuilt from 1697, the castle stayed until
a ruin today. Nevertheless, Zavelstein, which from 1367 to
1975 was the smallest town in Württemberg in terms of community form, quite a whole
special charm preserved.