Logo Black Forest Portal
Close this searchbox.
Kandertalbahn steam train

Kandertal Railway

111 Add to favorites Remove from favorites



Location: calender
Suitable for prams: partially

The Kandertal Railway already existed in the 3rd century. As early as 1890, concrete thought was given to a railway line in the Kandertal. 5 years later the time had come, the Kandertal Railway went into operation in 1895.

Right from the start, the Kandertalbahn was lovingly ?? s'Chanderli ?? called, a private railway. There was also no separation into freight and passenger trains in operation; Always running passenger trains with goods transport. After the 2nd World War, the railway was operated by the SWEG (Southwest German Railway Company). In the 60s, the T 3 (Chanderli) steam locomotive was retired in favor of diesel multiple units.

Some steam enthusiasts did not want to accept that. The T 3, which has meanwhile been sold to an innkeeper in Kandertal, was bought back and refurbished by EUROVAPOR. The first test drive took place as early as 1969 and on May 1, 1970 the train was presented to the public and then on schedule! to operate under the direction of the SWEG. The train mostly replaced the diesel multiple units on Sundays and ran up to Basel Bad Bf. The train was particularly popular with the Basel population.

But in July 1983 the end of the Kandertal Railway seemed inevitable. Heavy storms had washed away the embankment in several places, the upper section of the route was no longer passable. The SWEG switched passenger traffic from rail to road, freight traffic was only carried out to Wollbach (Baden). The museum vehicles had previously been brought to Haltingen with the lastest effort. It was only a matter of time before the final route was closed.

But they didn't want to accept that in Kandertal. The city of Kandern, several municipalities, the district, the board of EUROVAPOR and many private individuals ?? including Walter Martin, who has been extremely active for years ?? founded the Zweckverband Museumbahn, the SWEG provided the facilities and tracks free of charge. With a lot of effort and financial outlay, the line was put into an operational condition and on May 1, 1986, operations were resumed.

Since then, the steam trains have been running again as planned until today ?? apart from a compulsory break in 2000. Sunday after Sunday during the summer. And there are also special trains for all occasions and occasions.