The castle complex was mentioned for the first time in 1095 and was probably owned by Count von Wiesneck and passed to the Counts of Hohenberg in the middle of the 12th century. In 1381 the entire county passed to the Habsburgs.
In the last two centuries the castle lost more and more importance, so it was insignificant in the wars and was spared from destruction.
In 1975 Haigerloch Castle housed an agricultural and administrative school, then the entrepreneur Paul Eberhard Schwenk bought the castle. Since then, a hotel with a restaurant has been housed in the castle.